You are here:
About the National Center for Environmental Research (NCER)
What We Do
NCER's mission is to support high-quality research by the nation's leading scientists and engineers that will improve EPA’s scientific basis for decisions on national environmental issues. NCER supports leading edge extramural research in exposure, effects, risk assessment, and risk management by managing competitions for STAR and P3 grants, STAR and GRO fellowships, and for research contracts under the Small Business Innovative Research Program. NCER fellowships and P3 grants assist in the development of America's next generation of scientists and engineers.
Projects Managed by NCER
- Science to Achieve Results (STAR) grants program; STAR requests for applications
- Fellowships programs:
- Greater Research Opportunities (GRO)
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) Science and Engineering Fellows Program
- EPA Marshall Scholarship Program
- Small Business Innovative Research Program (SBIR)
- P3: People, Prosperity and the Planet Student Design Competition for Sustainability
James H. Johnson, Jr., Ph.D., Director
Darrell Winner, Acting Deputy Director
- Phone: 703-347-8200
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Peer Review Division
- Applied Science Division
- Technology and Engineering Division
- Health Research and Fellowships Division
- Research Support Division
Director: James Gentry
What We Do: PRD manages the external peer review process of applications submitted in response to competitive solicitations.
Director: Bryan Bloomer
What We Do: ASD manages NCER’s external research programs for Air, Global Climate, Ecology, and Water. ASD prepares solicitations in these research areas and manages grants issued under these solicitations.
Director: Gail Bentkover
What We Do: TED manages NCER’s external research programs for small business, green chemistry and green buildings, engineering, nanotechnology, P3, and sustainability. TED prepares solicitations in these research areas and manages grants issued under these solicitations.
Director: Sylvana Y. Li
What We Do: HRFD manages NCER’s external research programs for human health, safe products and pesticides, endocrine disruptors, and the fellowship programs. HRFD prepares solicitations in these research areas and manages grants issued under these solicitations. HRFD prepares fellowship solicitations and manages fellowships under these solicitations.
Director: Desmond Mayes
What We Do: RSD supports the other divisions of NCER through information and communications management, and financial and administrative tracking and management.