You are here:
Public Involvement for Bristol Bay 404c Process
On this page:
EPA Region 10 requests comment on a proposal to protect one of the world’s most valuable salmon fisheries, in Bristol Bay, Alaska, from the risks posed by a mine at the Pebble deposit. Please add your voice to this important discussion about the future of the Bristol Bay watershed.
Comments must be submitted by 8pm (Alaska time) September 19, 2014.
- (Preferred method): Submit comments online at regulations.gov. Specify Docket # EPA-R10-OW-2014-0505.
- Send an email to OW-Docket@epa.gov. Include Docket # EPA-R10-OW-2014-0505 in the subject line.
- Send a letter to the EPA Bristol Bay Docket at:
Water Docket # EPA-R10-OW-2014-0505
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Mail Code: 2822T
1200 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20460
Oral and written comments on EPA's proposal were also accepted at public hearings August 12-15 in Alaska. Hearings were held in Anchorage, New Stuyahok, Nondalton, Kokhanok, Dillingham, Illiamna, and Igiugig.
Here are some questions to consider when preparing your comments:
- Do you think the Proposed Determination should be recommended and finalized? Why or why not?
- Do you have additional information on potential impacts on the North Fork Koktuli River, South Fork Koktuli River and Upper Talarik Creek watersheds, and downstream reaches of the Nushagak and Kvichak Rivers resulting from mining of the Pebble deposit? Specifically information about:
- Fish and other ecological resources
- Water quality, flora, fauna and hydrology
- Wildlife species
- Drinking water
- Can you suggest potential mitigation actions that could compensate for the damage caused by mining the Pebble deposit?
- Should the discharge of dredged or fill material be completely prohibited, restricted as proposed, restricted in another manner or not restricted at all at this time?
You can make a request to accommodate language or other special needs by contacting Judy Smith (firstname.lastname@example.org) at 503-326-6994. TDD or TTY users, please call 1-800-877-8339 and give the operator Judy’s phone number.