You are here:
Effluent Guidelines Implementation & Compliance
Implementation of Effluent Guidelines occurs under two related EPA programs, depending on the way an industrial facility discharges its wastewater:
- Direct dischargers to a water body fall under the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) program.
- Indirect dischargers to a municipal treatment plant (publicly owned treatment works) fall under the Pretreatment Program.
- For industry-specific information, see Industrial Effluent Guidelines.
Integrated Compliance Information System (ICIS)
DMR Pollutant Loading Tool
Compliance and Enforcement
- Water Enforcement Policy, Guidance and Publications
- Compliance Assistance Centers
Websites targeted to industry and government sectors