Analysis and Trends
The links below show our progress in meeting performance targets and the trends in our enforcement results from fiscal year (FY) 2009 to 2013.
- Government Performance and Results Act (GPRA)
Measure Number GPRA External Performance Measure FY 13 Target FY 13 Actual (rounded) 409 Number of federal inspections and evaluations17,00018,000 410 Number of civil judicial and administrative enforcement cases initiated3,2002,400 411 Number of civil judicial and administrative enforcement cases concluded3,0002,500 412 Percentage of open consent decrees reviewed for overall compliance status100%91% 418 Percentage of criminal cases having the most significant health, environmental, and deterrence impacts43%44% 420 Percentage of criminal cases with charges filed40%38% 419 Percentage of criminal cases with individual defendants75%80% 421 Percentage of conviction rate for criminal defendants85%94% 400 * Millions of pounds of air pollutants reduced, treated, or eliminated through concluded enforcement actions450 M lbs610 M lbs 402 * Millions of pounds of water pollutants reduced, treated, or eliminated through concluded enforcement actions320 M lbs660 M lbs 404 * Millions of pounds of toxic and pesticide pollutants reduced, treated, or eliminated through concluded enforcement actions3.0 M lbs4.6 M lbs 405 Millions of pounds of hazardous waste pollutants reduced, treated, or eliminated through concluded enforcement actions6,500 M lbs150 M lbs 417 Millions of cubic yards of contaminated soil and groundwater media EPA has obtained commitments to clean up as a result of concluded CERCLA and RCRA corrective action enforcement actions.300 M cu. yds.750 M cu. yds. 285 Percentage of Superfund sites having viable, liable responsible parties other than the federal government where EPA reaches a settlement or takes an enforcement action before starting a remedial action.99%100% 078 Percentage of all Superfund statute of limitations cases addressed at sites with unaddressed total past costs equal to or greater than $500,000.100%100%
* GPRA measures 400, 402, and 404 respectively quantify pollutant releases that are or will be reduced, treated or eliminated to air, water, and land as a result of EPA enforcement actions. Measure 404 includes reductions of pollutant releases to land (e.g., RCRA non-hazardous waste, oil, gasoline, or solvents), as well as reductions in distribution of illegal products, including pesticides and new and existing chemicals.
Civil Penalities and Criminal Fines and Restitution
- Administrative and Civil Judicial Penalties Assessed (PDF)
- Value of Fines and Restitution and Court Ordered Environmental Projects (PDF)
Civil Enforcement Program
- Civil Enforcement Case Initiations and Conclusions (PDF)
- Federal Inspections and Evaluations (PDF)
- Superfund Results (PDF)
- Estimated Value of Administrative and Civil Judicial Complying Actions (Injunctive Relief) (PDF)
- Supplemental Environmental Projects (PDF)
- Estimated Environmental Benefits
Criminal Enforcement Program
- Environmental Crime Cases Opened, Defendants Charged and Sentencing Results – Years of Incarceration (PDF)
Single Document Containing All Charts and GraphsYou will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
- FY 2013 Enforcement Annual Results - Trend Data (PDF)(14 pp, 355 K)