You are here:
Tough civil and criminal enforcement for violations that threaten communities and the environment.
- Clean water: cut raw sewage, animal waste, and polluted stormwater runoff; protect drinking water
- Clean air: reduce pollution from largest sources, cut toxic air pollution
- Clean energy and climate: focus on energy sector compliance with air, water and waste rules; assure GHG rule compliance
- Clean communities: protect people from exposure to hazardous chemicals and require polluters to pay for cleanup of contaminated sites
- Pursue criminal violations that threaten human health and the environment or that undermine the integrity of environmental protection programs
- Advance environmental justice and protect overburdened communities
Next Generation Compliance: achieve greater compliance and reduce pollution using advanced monitoring and information technologies.
- Design regulations and permits for clear and effective implementation
- Use advanced monitoring technologies to find and take action on pollution problems
- Shift to electronic reporting
- Expand transparency of pollution and compliance information
- Use innovative enforcement strategies to improve compliance
Strong EPA/State/Tribal environmental protection: work together toward shared environmental goals.
- Work as partners to strengthen state and tribal enforcement programs and to design and implement Next Generation Compliance approaches
- Conduct consistent, effective and efficient reviews of state enforcement programs
- Take action to address serious issues with state enforcement programs to assure a level playing field among states and industries