Transmittal memorandum, guidance, and three model documents addressing the potential applicability of the bona fide prospective purchaser (BFPP) provision under the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA, commonly referred to as Superfund) to tenants. The model comfort/status letters are for lessees at renewable energy projects. Issued 12/5/2012.
(The guidance in this transmittal package supersedes the 1/14/2009 Enforcement Discretion Guidance Regarding the Applicability of the Bona Fide Prospective Purchaser Definition in CERCLA 101(40) to Tenants policy document.)
- Transmittal of Revised Enforcement Guidance Regarding the Treatment of Tenants Under the CERCLA Bona Fide Prospective Purchaser Provision and Model Comfort/Status Letters for Lessees at Renewable Energy Projects (PDF) (22 pp, 856 K)
- Revised Guidance: Treatment of Tenants Under the CERCLA Bona Fide Prospective Purchaser (BFPP) Provision (PDF) (5 pp, 557 K)
- Model: Comfort/Status Letter - No Previous Federal Interest - RE-Powering America's Land Initiative (PDF) (3 pp, 39 K)
- Model: Comfort/Status Letter - Federal Superfund Interest and No Current Federal Superfund Interest - RE-Powering American's Land Initiative (PDF) (7 pp, 67 K)
- Model State Action Comfort/Status Letter - RE-Powering America's Land Initiative (PDF) (5 pp, 41 K)