You are here:
Penalty and Financial Models
The penalty and financial models are used to analyze the financial aspects of enforcement actions. Five models currently are available:
- ABEL - Evaluates a corporation's or partnership's ability to afford compliance costs, cleanup costs or civil penalties.
- BEN - Calculates a violator's economic savings from delaying or avoiding pollution control expenditures.
- INDIPAY - Evaluates an individual's ability to afford compliance costs, cleanup costs or civil penalties.
- MUNIPAY - Evaluates a municipality's or regional utility's ability to afford compliance costs, cleanup costs or civil penalties.
- PROJECT - Calculates the real cost to a defendant of a proposed supplemental environmental project.
The Penalty and Financial Models
Download or run EPA Enforcement Economic Models to install the penalty and financial models.
About the Models
All five penalty and financial models are modified annually as part of EPA's routine update process. Updates to the models include financial information (i.e., current tax rates, inflation rates, discount/compound rates), and utility enhancement.
Help on installing, using, or understanding the penalty and financial models' outputs is available to state, tribal, local or national governments.
- Phone: Penalty and Financial Models Help Line, at 888-ECONSPT (888-326-6778). This is an international toll-free line staffed by an Agency contractor.
- Email: email@example.com
For additional information, contact EPA's Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance. Email: Caroline Hermann, (firstname.lastname@example.org) at (202) 564-2876.