You are here:
Published Scientific Papers
EPA researchers conducted 17 research projects resulting in over 20 peer-reviewed research papers. These papers support the draft assessment on the potential impacts of hydraulic fracturing for oil and gas on drinking water resources.
Analysis of Existing Data
Burden et al. EPA Report. May 2015.
- “Characterization of liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry method for the determination of acrylamide in complex environmental samples”
Patrick DeArmond and Amanda DiGoregorio. Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry. May 2013.
- “Rapid liquid chromatography–tandem mass spectrometry-based method for the analysis of alcohol ethoxylates and alkylphenol ethoxylates in environmental samples”
Patrick DeArmond and Amanda DiGoregorio. Journal of Chromatography A. August 2013.
"The Verification of a Method for Detecting and Quantifying Diethylene Glycol, Triethylene Glycol, Tetraethylene Glycol, 2-Butoxyethanol and 2-Methoxyethanol in Ground and Surface Waters"
Brian A. Schumacher and Lawrence Zintek. EPA Report. July 2014.
- “Modeling of fault reactivation and induced seismicity during hydraulic fracturing of shale gas reservoirs”
Rutqvist et al. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. July 2013.
- “Development of the T+M coupled flow-geomechanical simulator to describe fracture propagation and coupled flow-thermal-geomechanical processes in tight/shale gas systems”
Jihoon Kim and George Moridis. Computers and Geosciences. October 2013.
- “The RealGas and RealGasH2O options of the TOUGH+ code for the simulation of coupled fluid and heat flow in tight/shale gas systems”
George Moridis and Craig M. Freeman. Computers and Geosciences. October 2013.
"MeshVoro: A three-dimensional Voronoi mesh building tool for the TOUGH family of codes"
Freeman et al. Computers and Geosciences. Accepted for publication May 2014.
"Gas Flow Tightly Coupled to Elastoplastic Geomechanics for Tight- and Shale-Gas Reservoirs: Material Failure and Enhanced Permeability"
Jihoon Kim and George Moridis. Society of Petroleum Engineers. December 2014.
"Modeling of fault activation and seismicity by injection directly into a fault zone associated with hydraulic fracturing of shale-gas reservoirs"
Rutqvist et al. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. March 2015.
"Numerical analysis of fracture propagation during hydraulic fracturing operations in shale gas systems"
Jihoon Kim and George Moridis. International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences. June 2015.
Sullivan et al. EPA Report. May 2015.
"Scenario Analysis of the Impact on Drinking Water Intakes from Bromide in the Discharge of Treated Oil and Gas Wastewater"
Weaver, J., Xu, J., and Mravik, S. Journal of Environmental Engineering. August 2015.