You are here:
Pathfinder Innovation Projects
Pathfinder Innovation Projects challenge EPA scientists to answer the question, "Wouldn't it be amazing if we could ... ?" The internal competition provides staff time and seed funding in pursuit of high-risk, high-reward research ideas.
Our goal is to transform sustainability and environmental protection by integrating innovative ideas into the major EPA research programs.
PIP Awardees, by year:
The Selection Process
- The program asks for high-risk, high-reward research ideas.
- Leading experts outside EPA help spot ideas with the most potential.
- EPA supplies seed funding and staff time to selected projects.
- Researchers provide a proof-of-concept.
- EPA programs incorporate promising projects into their research portfolios.