Tips to Prevent Mosquito Bites
Using the right insect repellent and other preventive actions can discourage mosquitoes, ticks and other biting insects from landing on you. Here are tips for other preventive actions you can take against mosquitoes. Also see Tips to Prevent Tick Bites.
Remove Mosquito Habitats
- Eliminate standing water in rain gutters, old tires, buckets, plastic covers, toys, or any other container where mosquitoes can breed.
- Empty and change the water in bird baths, fountains, wading pools, rain barrels, and potted plant trays at least once a week to destroy potential mosquito habitats.
- Drain or fill temporary pools of water with dirt.
- Keep swimming pool water treated and circulating.
Use Structural Barriers
- Cover all gaps in walls, doors, and windows to prevent mosquitoes from entering.
- Make sure window and door screens are in good working order.
- Completely cover baby carriers and beds with netting.
Avoid Getting Bitten
- Keep mosquitoes away from exposed skin by wearing long-sleeved shirts, long pants, and socks.
- Tuck shirts into pants and pants into socks to cover gaps in your clothing where mosquitoes can get to your skin.
- Stay indoors at sunrise, sunset, and early in the evening when mosquitoes are most active.
Additional Information on Avoiding Mosquito Habitats and Bites
- Methods of Mosquito Control - EPA
- Prevention and Control - CDC
- Mosquito Control Methods - NPIC Exit