Tips to Prevent Tick Bites
Using the right insect repellent and other preventive actions can discourage ticks, mosquitoes, and other biting insects from landing on you. Here are tips for other preventive actions you can take against ticks. Also see Tips to Prevent Mosquito Bites.
Avoid Tick Habitats
- Reduce time spent in potentially tick-infested habitats such as tall grass and shrubs.
- Reduce leaf litter and mow tall grass or brush that may serve as tick habitat.
- Walk in the center of trails to avoid contact with adjacent vegetation.
Avoid Tick Bites
- Keep ticks away from exposed skin by wearing long-sleeved shirts, long pants, and high boots.
- Tuck shirts into pants and pants into socks to cover gaps in your clothing where ticks can get in.
- Wear light-colored clothing to be able to see ticks more easily.
- Check the entire body for ticks; promptly remove attached ticks without squeezing them!
Additional Information on Avoiding Tick Habitats, Bites and Infection
- Managing Ticks and Preventing Bites - NPIC Exit
- Ticks - CDC
- Lyme Primer Brochure (PDF)(2 pp, 225 K, About PDF) - Lyme Disease Association, Inc. (LDA) Exit