You are here:
EPA Collaboration with Singapore
EPA’s cooperation with Singapore occurs largely under the auspices of the U.S.–Singapore Memorandum of Intent (MOI) on Environmental Cooperation. Under the MOI, EPA may cooperate with Singapore on a variety of areas including: air pollution management, environmental enforcement, and drinking water protection.
Our current work with Singapore focuses on promoting improved air quality and expanding access to clean water, through the activities described below. EPA’s collaboration with Singapore advances our international priorities.
Explore our work in Singapore:
- June 2013: Memorandum of Understanding signed with Singapore Public Utilities Board on Sustainable Urban Water Management
- April 2013: U.S and Singapore adopted 2013-2014 Environmental Plan of Action (PDF), after reviewing accomplishments under the previous Environmental Plan of Action.
Building Strong Environmental Institutions and Legal Structures
In 2013, EPA developed and delivered an environmental inspections training course to approximately 50 participants in Singapore. Participants were primarily from Singapore’s National Environmental Agency, and also included guest participants from the Indonesian Ministry of Environment. The course not only included discussions on the basic principles and skills for conducting inspections, but also an introduction to U.S. regulatory programs and pollution control and monitoring technologies.
Improving Air Quality
In 2011 and 2013, EPA hosted air quality management study tours for officials from Singapore’s Ministry of Environment and Water Resources (MEWR) and National Environment Administration (NEA). Topics during these study tours included air quality monitoring techniques, control of air emission from oil refineries and petrochemical plants, and public health impacts from improved air quality. These discussions have helped inform Singapore’s air quality management systems.
Expanding Access to Clean Water
In June 2013, EPA and Singapore’s national water agency (PUB) signed an MOU to collaborate on sustainable management of water resources. PUB and EPA will cooperate to increase scientific and technical knowledge on long-term water sustainability. Areas of cooperation under the MOU could include: safe drinking water research; watershed management; and innovative wastewater treatment research. Officials from PUB visited EPA in April 2014 to identify priority areas of collaboration.
Reduce Exposure to Toxic Chemicals
In 2009, EPA hosted a study tour by Singapore government officials on terrain decontamination. During the study tour, the delegation met with enforcement, air quality, and emergency management officials at EPA. The delegation also toured decontamination sites and facilities in the region.
- Memorandum of Understanding between EPA and the Singapore Public Utilities Board on Sustainable Urban Water Management (2013-2017)
- U.S.-Singapore Environmental Plan of Action (2013-2014) (PDF)
- U.S. –Singapore Memorandum of Intent on Environmental Cooperation (2003-present) (PDF)
- U.S- Singapore Free Trade Agreement (2003-present (PDF)
- Singapore National Environmental Administration
- Singapore Ministry of the Environment and Water Resources
- Singapore Public Utilities Board
- U.S. Embassy Singapore