You are here:
EPA/HUD Model Lead Dust Sampling Technician Training Course
(Instructor Manual EPA-740-R-09-006)
(Student Manual EPA-740-R-09-005)
This course was developed by the U.S. EPA, in collaboration with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), to teach contractors how to conduct non-abatement lead dust clearance testing under EPA's Renovation, Repair, and Painting (RRP) Rule and clearance examinations under HUD's Lead Safe Housing Rule. Below are links for the lead dust sampling technician model training course materials.
Summary of New Updates/Corrections. The course has been revised to address regulatory changes that became effective in October 2011.
Training manuals. These are complete printing files that include: cover, spine, modules, and appendices.
Source files. The Powerpoint files of each module are provided for presentation purposes. The Powerpoint and Word source files are also included so that the course can be updated to include pertinent state and local requirements.
- Student Overview (Word) | en español (Word)
- Instructor Overview (Word) | en español (Word)
- Chapter 1: Introduction
- Chapter 2: Visual Inspection
- Chapter 3: Lead Dust Wipe Sampling
- Chapter 4: Selecting a Laboratory and Interpreting Results
- Chapter 5: Writing and Delivering the Report
- Chapter 6: Putting the Skills Together
Note: The course chapters are made up of both Word and Powerpoint files. They include a Powerpoint file of the slides, and a Word file of the attachments. In addition to these files, the Instructor manual includes a short introductory Word document for each chapter. Both the Instructor and Student Manuals have overview documents.
- Appendix A: Final Rule: Renovation, Repair, and Painting Program (40 CFR Part 745) | en español (Word)
- Appendix B: Renovate Right: Important Lead Hazard Information for Families, Child Care Providers and Schools (PDF) | en español (PDF)
- Appendix C: Lead Dust Sampling Technician Field Guide (PDF) | en español (PDF)