Ecoregional Criteria Documents
We publish recommended water quality criteria to reduce problems associated with excess nutrients in waterbodies in specific areas of the country. We work with states and tribes to adopt regional-specific and locally appropriate water quality criteria for nutrients in lakes, reservoirs, rivers, streams, and wetlands in fourteen ecoregions.
- Criteria Documents for Lakes & Reservoirs
- Criteria Documents for Rivers & Streams
- Ecoregional Criteria Document for Wetlands (PDF) (77 pp, 236K)
- Summary Table for the Nutrient Criteria Documents (PDF) (3 pp, 68K) July 2002
These tables present the recommended criteria for each of the aggregate nutrient ecoregions for the following parameters: Total Phosphorus, Total Nitrogen, Chlorophyll a, and Turbidity or Secchi. Criteria are presented for both Lakes & Reservoirs and Rivers & Streams.
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
We finalized nine water quality criteria documents for lakes and reservoirs, and rivers and streams. See below for documents and peer review comments.
- Fact Sheet
- Federal Register Notice (January 6, 2003)
- EPA Response to Peer Review Comments for Lakes and Reservoirs
- EPA Response to Peer Review Comments for Rivers and Streams
- Public Comments
We solicited submissions of significant scientific information on nine nutrient water quality criteria documents for lakes and reservoirs, and rivers and streams.
We published 17 ecoregional nutrient criteria documents for lakes and reservoirs, rivers and streams, and wetlands. See below for documents.
- Fact Sheet
- Federal Register Notice (January 9, 2001)
- External Expert Peer Review Comments (PDF) (57 K) (June 2001)
- Public Comments (June 2001)