We consider this document to be an instructional aid that does not establish new guidance, but instead compiles existing interpretations of statutory and regulatory provisions and reiterates existing Agency policies.
We are interested in optimizing the usefulness of the Label Review Manual (LRM) as a tool for understanding the pesticide labeling process. The LRM is also useful in understanding approaches for how labels should generally be drafted. As always, we will consider each label on its own merits and will consider deviations from our policy in labeling under the appropriate provisions of FIFRA and its implementing regulations.
Label Review Manual Table of ContentsYou will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
- Chapter 1: Purpose of the Manual (PDF)(3 pp, 2 MB)
- Chapter 2: What is a Pesticide? (PDF)(11 pp, 731 K)
- Chapter 3: General Labeling Requirements (PDF)(16 pp, 591 K)
- Chapter 4: Types of Label Reviews (PDF)(12 pp, 589 K)
- Chapter 5: Ingredient Statement (PDF)(15 pp, 501 K)
- Chapter 6: Use Classification (PDF)(5 pp, 526 K)
- Chapter 7: Precautionary Statements (PDF)(16 pp, 609 K)
- Chapter 8: Environmental Hazards (PDF)(15 pp, 601 K)
- Chapter 9: Physical or Chemical Hazards (PDF)(7 pp, 530 K)
- Chapter 10: Worker Protection Labeling (PDF)(28 pp, 729 K)
- Chapter 11: Directions for Use (PDF)(32 pp, 694 K)
- Chapter 12: Labeling Claims (PDF)(13 pp, 460 K)
- Chapter 13 Storage and Disposal (PDF)(56 pp, 1 MB)
- Chapter 14: Indentification Numbers (PDF)(6 pp, 649 K)
- Chapter 15: Company Name and Address (PDF)(4 pp, 506 K)
- Chapter 16: Graphics & Symbols on Labels (PDF)(5 pp, 511 K)
- Chapter 17: Net Contents/Net Weight Statement (PDF)(3 pp, 502 K)
- Chapter 18: Unique Product Labeling (PDF)(13 pp, 271 K)