You are here:
EPA reviews the product label as part of the licensing/registration process for pesticides. The label on a pesticide package or container and the accompanying instructions are a key part of pesticide regulation. The label provides critical information about how to handle and safely use the pesticide product and avoid harm to human health and the environment.
Labeling Requirement Resources
- The Label Review Manual – The goal of the Label Review Manual is to improve the quality and consistency of labels. The manual can be useful for state label reviewers, registrants and other individuals interested in producing readable, unambiguous pesticide labels.
- Pesticide Product Labels – The information on this page is intended to help the pesticide registrant and the public better access, understand, and use information about pesticide labels.
- 40CFR Part 156 – Labeling Requirements for Pesticides and Devices.
- Electronic submission of labels
- Critical PDF label specifications for electronic submission
- Full specifications for text.PDF label submissions
- Frequent questions for electronic label submissions
Other Label-Related Information
- Globally Harmonized System for Labeling of Chemicals – A worldwide initiative to promote standard criteria for classifying chemicals according to their health, physical and environmental hazards. Most aspects of this system do not affect pesticide labels, but we have guidance for pesticide registrants on issues they should consider.
- Pesticide Product Labels -- other labeling information and resources