We are improving our website to help you find what you're looking for. During this transition some URLs may change. Learn more...

Report Adverse Effects (Incidents)

Options for Reporting by Pet Owners

The following are ways you can report harmful effects that your pet experienced from use of a flea and tick product. You don't need to use all of them, but you are welcome to report in more than one way. 

  • Tell the Product Manufacturer: Pet owners should always report adverse effects to the product manufacturer. Pesticide manufacturers are required by law to report incident information to EPA. Contact information can be found on the product's package. Clearly identify the name of the product used, the EPA Registration Number (you can find this on the package), the type and breed of animal affected, symptoms observed in the pet, and any other details pertaining to the incident.
  • Tell EPA: Forward the information in our “ask a question” site:
    • Create a new message using the "Ask a Question" function with as much of the following information as possible (you can copy this list into the question box and then fill in the responses:
      • Name(s) and EPA registration number(s) of product(s) applied,
      • Active ingredient of the product (if known; can be found on the product label),
      • Breed(s) and age(s) of animal(s) and any other factors needed to understand any previous medical condition(s) of animal(s),
      • Who applied the product(s)- owner or veterinarian,
      • Length of time between application and reaction,
      • Description of adverse reaction,
      • Date(s) which adverse reaction occurred,
      • Contact information and telephone number, and
      • City and state where the incident occurred.
    • This will allow us to provide information to our incident data system.
  • Tell Your Veterinarian: Veterinarians have access to a reporting mechanism called the Veterinary Pesticide Adverse Effects Reporting portal Exit to report incidents. This portal is not for use by the public.
  • Tell the National Pesticide Information Center: Call 1-800-858-7378 to report an incident. 

Top of Page

Reporting by Veterinarians

  • If you are a veterinarian, you can submit reports using our quick and easy Veterinary Pesticide Adverse Effects Reporting portal Exit  (Note: this reporting site is for veterinarians only; pet owners should use the reporting options listed above.)
  • This reporting page was developed by the National Pesticide Information Center (NPIC) and EPA. Your report will help improve the quality of all animal incident data we receive.

Top of Page