Resources for Businesses, States, and Local Governments
Tools and Resources
- Comprehensive Procurement Guidelines help businesses purchase recycled materials.
- Tools for Local Government Recycling Programs help create or maintain a residential recycling program.
- Full Cost Accounting (FCA) helps identify the costs of managing solid waste operations.
- Pay-As-You-Throw encourages recycling by charging residents for the collection of ordinary household trash based on the amount they throw away.
- Recycling Measurement provides a standardized methodology for measuring the effectiveness of recycling in a community.
- Recycle on the Go encourages recycling in public places such as parks, stadiums, convention centers, etc.
- Waste Reduction Model (WARM) helps solid waste planners track and report greenhouse gas emissions reductions from various waste management practices.
Sustainable Materials Management
- Food Recovery Challenge helps grocers, universities, stadiums, and other venues reduce their food waste as much as possible.
- Electronics Challenge helps manufacturers and retailers promote responsible electronics recycling.
- Federal Green Challenge helps federal agencies lead by example and reduce their environmental footprint.
Industrial Materials Recycling
- Construction & Demolition Materials provides resources to encourage the reuse and recycling of construction and demolition materials.
- Scrap Tires details collaborative efforts to facilitate the recovery and reuse of scrap tires.
- Construction Initiative is a collaborative public and private sector effort to encourage the recycling of industrial materials in transportation and building construction projects.