You are here:
Targeted Brownfields Assessments
What is a TBA?
EPA's Targeted Brownfields Assessment (TBA) program is a voluntary non-grant program designed to help public entities, nonprofits, and tribes minimize the uncertainties of contamination often associated with brownfield properties. EPA Region 8 accepts applications on an ongoing basis to conduct environmental assessments on brownfield properties in Colorado, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, and Wyoming, along with 27 tribal nations.
Assistance from EPA Region 8 may encompass one or more of the following activities on brownfield properties:
- Phase I assessment, including a background and historical investigation and a preliminary property inspection.
- Phase II environmental assessment, including sampling activities to identify the types and concentrations of contaminants and the areas of contamination.
- Cleanup options and cost estimates based on future uses and redevelopment plans.
TBAs are not grants. They are assessments conducted by environmental consultants under contract funded by EPA Region 8 at no cost to the community. Funds for actual cleanup or demolition work are not available under this program.
Who is Eligible to Request Assistance?
TBA funding may only be used on brownfield properties, and the applicant must fall into one of the following categories:
- Public and non-profit entities (e.g., municipalities or community development corporations) and tribes.
- Private owners may be considered if redevelopment plans include a commitment to provide a clear and substantial public benefit.
Properties where the applicant could be considered to have caused or contributed to the contamination are not eligible for assistance under this program.
How Do I Request Assistance?
If you are interested in receiving Brownfields assessment assistance, please complete the application and submit to William (Bill) Rothenmeyer at the address below. You can also call or e-mail Bill with any questions.
Brownfields TBA Application
- Brownfields TBA Application (PDF form)
- Brownfields TBA Application (Word format)
- Brownfields TBA Ranking Form (for use by Region 8 to evaluate TBA proposals)
Brownfields Project Manager
1595 Wynkoop Street
Denver, CO 80202