Petroleum Sector (NAICS 324)
The petroleum sector covers the petroleum refining industry which includes the production of petroleum products through distillation and fraction of crude oil, redistillation of unfinished derivations, cracking or other processes.
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
Laws and Regulations
- Greenhouse Gas Reporting Program
- National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants (NESHAP):
- Asphalt Processing and Asphalt Roofing Manufacturing
- Benzene Waste Operations
- Coke Ovens: Pushing, Quenching,& Battery Stacks
- Coke Ovens (Charging, Top Side, and Door Leaks)
- Gasoline Dispensing and Distribution (Area and Major Sources)
- Hazardous Waste Combustion
- Industrial Cooling Towers
- Organic Liquids Distribution (non-gasoline)
- Petroleum Refineries
- Petroleum Refineries (Catalytic Cracking, Catalytic Reforming, Sulfur Plant Units, Associated Bypass Lines)
- Site Remediation
- Discharge of Oil Regulation Overview: also known as the "sheen rule." Framework for determining whether an oil spill to inland and coastal waters and/or their adjoining shorelines should be reported to the federal government.
- Oil Pollution Act Overview
- Oil Pollution Prevention Regulation Overview
- Oil Program: Laws and Regulations
- SPCC Rule: Spill Prevention Control and Countermeasure
- Combustion Portal : compliance assistance center.
- Petroleum Sector Compliance Assistance: sector profiles and assistance centers.
- National Enforcement Initiatives: Assuring Energy Extraction Activities Comply with Environmental Laws
- Petroleum Refinery National Initiative Case Results
Policies and Guidance
- Benzene National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants (NESHAP) Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Handbook for Subparts FF and BB (PDF) (44 pp, 269 K)
- Emergency Management: Policy & Guidance: includes guidance on the SPCC Rule.
- Petroleum Refinery MACT Standard Guidance (PDF) (125 pp, 1094 K, About PDF)
Related Technical Information
- AP 42 - Chapter 5: Petroleum Industry: emission factors and process information for air pollution source categories.