Printing and Related Support Activities Sector (NAICS 323)
Printing is part of the manufacturing sector (NAICS 31 - 32). It is composed of printing, platemaking and bookbinding; printing is by one or more common processes, such as lithography, letterpress, flexography, gravure, and screen printing.
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
Laws and Regulations
- Federal Environmental Regulations Potentially Affecting the Commercial Printing Industry
- Greenhouse Gas Reporting Program
- National Emissions Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants (NESHAP): air toxics regulations:
- Printing Sector Compliance Assistance Exit: including sector profiles and assistance centers.
- RCRA in Focus: Printing (PDF) (15 pp, 245 K): A guide for small business, includes a hazardous waste table of RCRA requirements.
Policies and Guidance
- Multimedia Compliance/Pollution Prevention Assessment Guidance for Lithographic Printing Facilities
- Multimedia Compliance/Pollution Prevention Assessment Guidance for Screen Printing Facilities
Related Technical Information
- AP 42 - Chapter 6: Organic Chemical Process Industry: emission factors and process information for air pollution source categories, including printing ink.