Executive Order on Improving Chemical Facility Safety and Security
- Executive Order on Improving Chemical Facility Safety and Security
- Request for Information
- Final Progress Report
- Webinars and Listening Sessions
- Additional Information
On August 1, 2013, the Executive Order on Improving Chemical Facility Safety and Security (EO 13650) directed the federal government to:
- improve operational coordination with state and local partners;
- enhance Federal agency coordination and information sharing;
- modernize policies, regulations and standards; and
- work with stakeholders to identify best practices.
EPA invited small businesses, governments, and not-for-profit organizations to participate as Small Entity Representatives (SERs) for a Small Business Advocacy Review (SBAR) panel. This panel will focus on the Agency’s development of a rule that proposes to modify the current Risk Management Plan (RMP) regulation. The proposed rule seeks to reduce the likelihood of accidental releases of toxic and flammable substances at chemical facilities, and improve emergency response when those releases occur.
June 2015 marks the one-year anniversary of EO 13650 Actions to Improve Chemical Facility Safety and Security – A Shared Commitment: Report for the President. The EO Working Group has released a factsheet on the accomplishments to date on improving chemical facility safety and security since the publishing of the Report to the President.
(4 pp, 569 K, About PDF)
As part of an ongoing federal effort to improve chemical risk management, the documents below are related to our joint progress:
- - This factsheet gives background on EPCRA (the Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act), the law governing local preparedness for chemical emergencies and public awareness of chemicals in their communities.
- - This alert is intended to introduce safer technology concepts and general approaches, explains the concepts and principles, and gives brief examples of the integration of safer technologies into facility risk management activities.
- - OSHA and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) have issued this revised chemical advisory. The advisory provides information on the hazards of ammonium nitrate (AN) storage, handling and management. It also provides lessons learned for facility owners, operators, emergency planners and first responders from recent incidents involving AN.
Request for Information on Risk Management Program. The Risk Management Program (RMP) Request for Information (RFI) was published in the Federal Register on July 31, 2014. The RFI sought comment on potential revisions to EPA’s RMP regulations and related programs to modernize its regulations, guidance, and policies as required under Executive Order (EO) 13650: Improving Chemical Facility Safety and Security. The public comment period closed October 29, 2014. Public comments may be viewed online at Regulations.gov.
Webinar: Introduction to Executive Order 13650. This pre-recorded community Webinar provides an introduction to the Executive Order (EO) 13650, highlights federal agencies involved in the EO and the primary regulations pertaining to the EO, discusses local government involvement, and community involvement. Comments from the community participants are also included.
Additional Webinar Materials
Technical Assistance Services for Communities (TASC)
Community Webinar on Executive Order 13650: Chemical Facility Safety & Security
Executive Order Listening Sessions
In 2013-2014, the Working Group held a dozen listening sessions, supplemented by two online Webinars. Locations for listening sessions were selected to reach as many and as diverse a stakeholder group as possible. Many listening sessions were held both during and outside of work hours to maximize stakeholder participation.
Below are the names and dates of each listening session and a link to the notes for each listening session found in www.regulations.gov.
- 11/5/2013 Texas City, TX
- 11/15/2013 National Capital Region
- 11/19/2013 Springfield, IL
- 11/25/2013 Webinar
- 12/11/2013 Orlando, FL
- 12/16/2013 Webinar
- 1/8/2014 Sacramento, CA
- 1/9/2014 Los Angeles, CA
- 1/10/2014 Los Angeles, CA
- 1/14/2014 National Capital Region
- 1/23/2014 Houston, TX (evening)
- 2/19/2014 Baton Rouge, LA
- 2/27/2014 Newark, NJ
- Executive Order Progress Update: February 2014
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration’s Executive Order Website
- Department of Homeland Security’s Chemical Security Information Website
For questions about the Executive Order, please email the Executive Order Working Group (Eo.email@example.com).
The comment period for the EO 13650: Improving Chemical Facility Safety and Security Listening Sessions docket (DHS-2013-0075) closed on November 19, 2014. Comments may be viewed at: http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=DHS-2013-0075-0001.