Reduce Your Child's Chances of Pesticide Poisoning
Keep these common household pesticides out of children’s reach:
- bath and kitchen disinfectants and sanitizers, including bleach
- products used to kill mold or mildew
- roach sprays and baits
- insect repellents
- rat and other rodent poisons
- weed killers
- flea and tick shampoos, powders and dips for pets
- swimming pool chemicals
Use these tips to help you poison-proof your home:
- Lock up all pesticides and harmful products in a cabinet, out of a child’s reach.
- Install safety latches on cabinets.
- Crawl around on your hands and knees to see if you've missed any potential dangers from your child's viewpoint.
- Read the label first.
- Follow the directions as they are written on the label before using a product.
- Use child-resistant packaging correctly by tightly sealing the container after every use.
- Re-close a pesticide package if ever interrupted during application (e.g., phone call, doorbell, etc.).
- Make sure the container is completely out of children's reach while you're absent.
- Keep pesticides in their original containers.
- Never put poisonous products in containers that could be mistaken for food or drinks.
- Alert all caregivers about the potential dangers of pesticides and share these tips with them.
- Teach children that “pesticides are poisons” and not to be touched.
- Pesticides you use to control fleas and ticks on your pets can be transfered to your children. Protect your pets and children by carefully following the label directions and precautions.
- Post the Poison Control Centers Exit national hotline phone number, 1(800)222-1222, near every telephone in your home and program it into your cell phone.
- Prevent Poisonings in Your Home
- Play It Safe: Reduce Your Child's Chances of Pesticide Poisoning (PDF) (8 pp, 366k, About PDF) provides information on children's exposure to pesticides and ways to prevent poisonings.
En español: Vida Sana: Reduzca la probabilidad de que sus hijos se envenenen con pesticidas (PDF) (8 pp, 366k, About PDF)
- Poison-Proof Your Home One Room at a Time (PDF) (2 pp, 160k, About PDF) a checklist which provides a list of activities and action steps that can help parents and caregivers identify sources of pesticide and other household product dangers at home.
En español: Haga de su hogar un lugar de prueba de venenos: Una habitación a la vez (PDF) (2 pp, 160k, About PDF)
- Protecting Children in Schools from Pests and Pesticides
- EPA Schools Programs
- Ten Tips to Protect Children from Pesticide and Lead Poisonings provides simple steps to save children from pesticide and lead poisonings around the home.
En español: Diez Medidas Para Proteger a Sus Niños de los Pesticidas y del Envenenamiento Debido al Plomo.
- Protecting Children Where They Live
- Protecting Children Where They Learn
- Protecting Children Where They Play
- Protecting Children Where They Work
- More on Children's Health Protection