Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I qualify for participation in the SunWise Program?
- Can more than one teacher or class in my school receive a SunWise tool kit?
- How long will it take for my kit to arrive?
- Are SunWise materials available in Spanish?
- I forgot/lost/could not copy down my SunWise class ID number.
- Our school operates during the summer. Is it possible to register my class and receive the tool kit during this time?
- Do I need to re-register with the program for each year that I plan to participate?
- How do I report UV Index information on the SunWise web site? How often should I report UV data from my UV meter or from weather reports? Is there a specific time of day when I should collect data?
- Where can I obtain a UV meter or other products to measure UV rays at my convenience?
- Where can I obtain more information regarding the ozone layer, ozone depletion, and global warming?
- Is there a SunWise video?
The SunWise program is open to educators in elementary or middle schools, and to informal educators and non-profit organizations (e.g. camps, afterschool programs, science centers, museums, parks and recreation programs, scouting groups) interested in promoting sun safety. Educators in the United States who are currently working with children in grades K–8 may use the SunWise registration link to join the program. Student teachers, homeschool teachers, preschool and high school teachers, substitute teachers, and educators outside the Unites States may contact us at SunWise (firstname.lastname@example.org) to request electronic copies of SunWise materials. We will mail SunWise materials (a tool kit on CD-ROM and a UV-sensitive Frisbee) free of charge to qualifying educators.
Yes, more than one teacher or class in a school can register to receive a SunWise CD-ROM. Please see our tool kit distribution policy for exceptions.
It may take up to 6 weeks for your tool kit to arrive. Please contact SunWise (email@example.com) if your kit has not arrived within this time frame or if you need the kit sooner.
The tool kit and several other documents are available in Spanish. Please refer to our Spanish website for more details.
If you no longer have your class ID number(s), please contact SunWise (firstname.lastname@example.org) with your name and school, and we will provide you with your ID information.
If you register during the summer months, the registration form will ask whether you want the tool kit to be sent right away or in the fall. If there are unusual circumstances, or if you have a question about summer registration, contact SunWise (email@example.com).
No, you do not need to reregister each year. One-time registration will keep you in the SunWise database.
8. How do I report UV Index information on the SunWise web site? How often should I report UV data from my UV meter or from weather reports? Is there a specific time of day when I should collect data?
Please visit UV data to report your class’s records of the UV Index. There is no specific time of day at which we require that you collect data. You can perform this activity with your class at your convenience. We encourage you to post/report data at least three times weekly for five months to give your class the opportunity to observe daily, seasonal, and weather-related differences in the UV Index.
If you would like to obtain a UV meter or related product, we suggest that you enter “UV meter, UV sensitive Frisbee, UV beads” etc. in your search engine. EPA cannot endorse the products and services of any vendors.
SunWise videos are available online.