Web Standard: Forms
Online forms are used to send questions or comments, register or submit registration information, or request software. Forms are created using the Webforms content type. Each web area will be able to create new forms.
- Pages using online forms must include an email address in case the form fails to work.
- The user must receive a follow up page thanking the person for writing.
- Title the form appropriately, describing its purpose.
- Use title case (initial capital letters) for labels. Never use all caps.
- Include help tips where needed.
- Essential fields should be validated client-side (e.g., email, phone).
- Every form will display a “thank you” confirmation page following submission.
- Reset/cancel buttons will not be used, ad they make it too easy for visitors to reset the form, losing their submission.
- Creating forms will be restricted to webmasters and editors.
- Contact Us forms are treated separately.
About this Standard
Effective date: 06/26/2011
Date approved: 09/12/2012
Web Council review by: 09/02/2014 (or earlier if deemed necessary by the Web Council)