Web Standard: Forms
Online forms are used to send questions or comments, register or submit registration information, or request software. Forms are created using the Webforms content type. Each web area will be able to create new forms.
- Pages using online forms must include an email address in case the form fails to work.
- The user must receive a follow up page thanking the person for writing.
- Form named appropriately for its purpose.
- Use title case (initial capital letters) for labels. Never use all caps.
- Include help tips where needed
- Essential fields should be validated client-side (e.g., email, phone edit pattern).
- Every form will display a “thank you” confirmation page following submission.
- Reset/cancel buttons will not be used. Makes it too easy for visitors to dump their completed content instead of correctly submitting a form.
- Creating forms will be restricted to webmasters and editors.
About this Standard
Effective date: 06/26/2011
Date approved: 09/12/2012
Web Council review by: 09/02/2014 (or earlier if deemed necessary by the Web Council)