Web Standard: Title/ Title Tag
The page’s title tells the reader what that specific page is about.
The title tag, or
- The title should indicate the page's topic.
- Make sure your title is understandable without any other context. Viewers coming to the page from a search engine should understand the content from the title.
- The title is the only instance of the H1 tag on the page. No others should be added.
- Include your most important and/or critical search terms in the title.
- Use plain language
- Avoid abbreviations and acronyms
- Use title case (initial capital letters) instead of all upper or lower case
Page Title: Bay Area Water Projects: Maps and Partners
Title Tag: Bay Area Water Projects: Maps and Partners | San Francisco Bay Delta | US EPA
Page Title: What is Environmental Education?
Title Tag: What is Environmental Education? | Education | US EPA
About this Standard
Effective date: 09/28/2005
Date approved: 09/12/2012
Web Council review by: 09/02/2014 (or earlier if deemed necessary by the Web Council)